2018 was an eye-opener for us all.
Avocados make their way into the hearts and stomachs of citizens around the world. Engineers are the new It girls. The Aussies can’t stop surfing. And the Russians have taken up jogging.
The Year in Swipe® brings you what’s trending on Tinder across the globe—from top Anthems and favorite foods to celebrity crushes, most talked about TV, swipe-worthy events and the most popular slang. What they say is true: If you want to know a generation’s true character, give them Tinder. Are we serious? Deadass.
You may think you’re alone in your own corner of the earth but rest assured, not only is the world swiping with you, they’re liking what they see. The data don’t lie—this is one good-looking planet, full of pizza vibes and possibility.
The Year in Swipe uncovered many things about the world we live in. It showed us how Ariana Grande sprinkled a bit of wokeness onto the world: She taught us that God is a Woman, which would be great news, if only she didn’t make so much less than the male gods.
It uncovered the shocking: Los Angeles is the top city in the world for Tinder users to Passport into (and you all pretend you can’t stand us ... liars!). And the not-so-shocking: The Americans are all talking about gluten, though no one is eating it. Surely the Spaniards are laughing right now, over their croquetas de jamón.
It highlighted the things that bring us together, like Drake, pizza and sitcoms from the early 2000s:
- Drake’s In My Feelings was the #1 Spotify Anthem for Tinder users across all countries with Spotify, with Ariana Grande’s empowering hit, God is a Woman, making the top 10 in 6 countries, including the U.S., UK, Brazil, Spain, Australia and Japan.
- In the U.S., U.K. and Australia, the Friends ‘How You Doin?’ GIF reigned supreme. But in Brazil, Spain, France, Germany, Russia, India, Japan and South Korea, the Waving Fox took the top spot as the most-used GIF.
- Pizza was among the top 10 most mentioned foods in people’s bios across 9 different countries! Just proving that, no matter where you live, pizza is a universal language.
- Beer pairs well with pizza as one of the most popular emojis listed in bios, making it into the top 10 for all countries, except the UK (which preferred posting puppies), Germany (which chose wine) and Russia (who selected dancing).
And it showed us that many Europeans just say “Nope” to smoking:
- Users Germany, Spain and Russia each had the “no smoking” emoji within their top 10 most popular listed in bios.
Perhaps what it teaches us most of all, is that we are one world, with many quirks—some in common, some not—ever-curious to find out what’s around the bend.
More Tinder stats from around the world can be found below and on Swipe Life.
Australia’s Year in Swipe
Brazil’s Year in Swipe
France’s Year in Swipe
Germany’s Year in Swipe
Japan’s Year in Swipe
Korea’s Year in Swipe
Russia’s Year in Swipe
Spain’s Year in Swipe
UK’s Year in Swipe
USA's Year in Swipe